Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Tudor Ranch and Trim

Yesterday I showed a picture of the house to a friend who said, "Oh it's a Tudor, no it's a ranch. It's a Tudor ranch!" Finally I know what my house is. It's a Tudor- Ranch! Luke got his castle and I got my mid-century ranch. Now how am I supposed to decorate it? There has to be a cross between a suit of armor and an Eames chair. This is going to be a challenge.

I started re staining the trim this weekend. I didn't want to go to all of the trouble of stripping and sanding so I have been using Minwax polyshades. Seen here:
http://www.minwax.com/products/onestep/polyshades.cfm
Of course the darkest color that Lowes carries is the Antique Walnut. Over the old stain it looks a little darker than the sample seen on the website. I see that they have a color called tudor which would have been awesome! Since I haven't done the second coat, perhaps I can go with that color over the walnut. But, I don't know if I feel like driving all over town looking for it.
I really want to get it over with. I can't paint the walls without finishing the trim, and I can't refinish the floors without painting the walls, so I'm really settling for whatever is the easiest.
Originally I was going to paint all of the trim white. It would have been just as labor intensive, but can I really bring myself to paint over wood trim? I decided to compromise and paint the upstairs trim white and just re stain the downstairs trim. Pictures to come soon!

No comments: